Thorofare Creek, SC
11/21, 1039.8, NE10-20>10, 63/41, sunny - We slept sufficiently well last evening. Noises of a light breeze in the rigging and the anchor rode playing over the bow kept me awake at times, but I know I got at least a couple hours of sound sleep. Dobbs too - I could hear him breathing. With her bow overhang, Grace can’t carry an all-chain rode. We have about 30’ of chain and the rest is rope. What that means in areas with current is that, for the 6 hours where the wind opposes the tide, Grace will sail up the rode, leaving it trailing astern. She doesn’t try to wrap it on her keel like “Walden”, our O’Day 27, did, but the motion of the boat changes and it’s hard not to pay attention to it. Also, we can’t anchor close to boats with all-chain rodes because we don’t settle the same way. At first light-ish, 6:45am, I rowed Murphy to shore while Dobbs hauled up the anchor. We wanted to be gone before the fishing fleet headed out, to avoid their wakes.
Dobbs navigated us through “The Rockpile”, a stretch of narrow canal lined with rocky shores, even passing a small tug and work barge heading the opposite direction. At 9am I took the helm and steered us through Myrtle Beach.
Shortly after noon, we were approaching our destination for the day - Enterprise Landing on the Waccamaw River - and we decided it was too early to stop. Thorofare Creek was roughly 15 miles ahead, so we made that the new target. The Waccamaw was beautiful and serene as ever.
Osprey Marina and Bucksport appear to be recovering expediently. Passing Bull Creek, the current we’d been pushing into got behind us and we rocketed along to Thorofare Creek at 7.3 knots.
Dobbs picked us a nice spot just at the southern edge of the dune and I deployed the delta, switched from the Danforth earlier in case of snags. The sucker didn’t set. We used a Delta on Whimsey almost exclusively and had little issue with it. Not so for Grace. It works well on a hard bottom, where the flukes of the Danforth tend to stick out and foul the rode, but in mud and sand it’s useless. I changed out to the Danforth and it set immediately. We just hope it doesn’t snag because we really want it back.
Grace settled in nicely and it’s utterly quiet here - no wind and the current so far is not gurgling over the bow. Dobbs and I sat in the cockpit reviewing the weather and plans for the next couple days, taking in the sun’s warmth, and having a snack. As of tonight’s forecast, it makes sense to stay right here. It’s supposed to blow 30 on Friday, so while we could sail down Winyah Bay tomorrow, we’d have no good anchor/dog walk options for tomorrow night or Friday. We’d like to sail right on through Charleston if possible, so where we stop the night before is key. Here, we’re comfortable at anchor and we have a beautiful dune and park with hiking trail just a short row away (in a 1.5-2 knot current…). This is a nice setting for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Dobbs rowed Murph and me to shore for playing in the sand and stretching our legs.
As the near-full moon rose over the trees, I prepared roasted pepper curry with garbanzos and kale, served over rice.
A break tomorrow will be welcome - my brain is tired from strategizing and navigating.